Thursday 27 January 2011

Uni Assignment - Chair

Yesterday was revelled to my class what material we will be working with for our Advanced Furniture Design Module. It is better than expected for me personally, as it turns out we get to work with 9 Metres of 20mm Diameter 1.2mm thick steal tubing. We had a hunch what it would be as we kept on pestering the working shop technicians to see what material they have ordered in bulk recently.

We also get to add other materials of our choosing to so we are not limited so much but the structure must be visible (the tubing).

I instantly thought of the Ron Arad chair Empty.


I feel I'll be heavily inspired by this chair. What I like the most about it is how the aluminium legs interact with the steam bent wood.

I have given my self the brief of designing a collapsible dining room / breakfast bar chair for the small apartment. which will give me some nice technical challenges as well as flaunting my creative side as well.

1 comment: