Wednesday 11 August 2010

Drilling the parts, Some success

As the plastic parts are reaction cast molded and not made with a RepRap they do not come with premade holes. but does offer more structuale stability as some people leave the insides partially holo.

Using Solidworks as a refrence to which holes are what sizes.



I spent some of the day drilling holes in the plastic with some success. Drilling mainly the 4-3mm holes that are needed.



It's a nice feeling that when your precautions and measurements before the act pay off.  I all the holes line up nicely, all is needed now is some filling down in some areas and it'll be perfect.



Unfortunately when I decided to drill one of the motor holders with the 8mm bit there was a mishap. 

There is a few reasons i think this happened or possibility of all of them together.
  • I was using a very old power drill. That has 2 speeds; fast and faster.
  • I was using a drill bit possibly not suited for this material. I may try the wood boring drill bit next.
  • I drilled a pilot hole first with a smaller drill bit leading to the drill snagging on the plastic and tearing a chunk off.
So tomorrow I shall attempt again. next time being much more gentle and using the wood boring drill bit which I think it designed to stop this snagging happening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment